Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Tall Tales

We talked in class yesterday about how Jerry Spinelli incorporated elements of tall tales into the novel.  Why do you think he chose to write this way?  Does it make the story better or worse?  Why?

36 comments:

  1. i think he wrote it this way because it would be a funny & fun book for young readers. I also think that it makes the story better because it adds a little excitement!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think he chose to write that way because if he didn't write about how fast Maniac ran and all the stuff Maniac did that no one else did the book wouldn't be as good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think he chose to write that way. I also think it makes the story better by filling it up with more excitement than there would be if he didn't

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think he chose to write that way because it grabs you in the story, I think another reason could be he wanted it to seem like you should feel what it was like in Maniac's life so he may have stretched the truth a little but just enough to be an awesome book. I think it makes the story 10 times better, because if he told the truth this amazing book would just be a book. Without exaggeration Maniac's life would just be like any other kid's life.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think Spinelli's description of the story makes it better because,it makes it sound more exciting and intresting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think he enjoys tall tales. I think it makes the story better because it's going to be more fun.

    ReplyDelete
  7. well, it kind of makes it hard to read and understand.ella v.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think he made it like a tall tale to make it a little more interesting and exciting. I think it makes the story better because if it wasn't it would be boring.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think Jerry Spinelli put in tall tale elements because he wanted to grab the readers attention.And so he can make the story more interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think that this story is better as a tall tale. This is because a little bit of tall tale in a story is good, it makes it more fun to read. That is also why the author wrote that way. The more exciting a story is the more fun it is. Wouldn't you rather read a story with slang than a story all proper with neat grammar? What about a story with a big problem and not a story about a guy with a good school, a good life, and a normal personality.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think Jerry Spinelli made Maniac Mcgee in a tall tale way because he is making Jeffrey a legend because tall tales are exciting and he's tring to make hos stories exciting. I think it makes it better because, as I said before, it makes it more exciting.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I thank it is not a tsll tale but he wrote it like one. Like Manaic can run realy fast and if you sprincle sult on the ground. He would be running as fast as a normle person.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think it makes the story better because sometimes it's good to add a little bit bigger exaderation in a book or any thing else

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think he chose it because it makes it more riveting and exhilarating. I think it really adds suspense and wonder.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think he chose to write that way because it would be more fun to learn it that way. I think it made the story better because at the beginning You did not know what would happen!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think he choose to write it this way because he wanted kids to like reading and to show them the real reason he writes, to have fun and let out his excitement. I think it makes the story a lot better because I like the way he says "his heart was like a sofa spring and his stomach like a cereal box."

    ReplyDelete
  17. I think he wrote like this to make the story interesting and exciting. I think it makes the story better because it gets the reader interested in the book.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I think he chose to write elements of a tall tale in his piece because he wanted Maniac to seem like a real legend. I think it makes the story more interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  19. It makes the story better because it makes Jeffrey sound more interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  20. -it makes it better
    -it is fun when things are exaggerated:)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I think it makes the story better. It exaggerates the story and makes it more exciting! I think it is smart to write that way.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I think it makes the story better because some things can be true and some aren't

    ReplyDelete
  23. I think jerry spinelli wrote the book like this becauseit makes it interesting.It makes me like it more than if it were just written like a regular book.The way jerry spinelli wrote this book made it way better.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I think that J.Spinelli wrote this because he wanted people to be on the edge of their seats and for them to be excited.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I think that it makes it better because more people in the East side talks slaing.

    ReplyDelete
  26. i think he chose to write this way because he wants to make kids laugh. I think it makes this story better because its funny, and makes people laugh

    ReplyDelete
  27. I think he used it because it makes the story more interesting. It makes the story better.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I think he wrote this book like a tall tale because he probely thought it would be fun.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I think he chose to write this way because it makes the book more exciting and a lot more fun. I just cant wait to hear what happens next to maniac and what problems he might face.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I think that he chose to write this way because he wants to grab you into the the story. When he did this it made the story seem like you were their.

    ReplyDelete
  31. i think he chose to write it this way because he wanted it to have a little more pazaz. I like it better because it is funnier and it gets readers like me more intrested in the book.

    ReplyDelete
  32. I think he chose to write this way because he wants people to understand it and he wants to be on the edge.

    ReplyDelete
  33. i think he chose to write it this way because it is more exciting. i think it maks it more better because it makes it more interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  34. I think he chose to write this way, to make the book sound better.

    ReplyDelete
  35. I think that he chose to write this way because it would seem like Maniac would exaggerate a lot and that he would tale in a weird way. This would be because he doesn't have a very good education.

    ReplyDelete
  36. I think he does it so he can exagerrate the story more. I also think this makes the story creative ad better.

    ReplyDelete